Garage Block Burglaries
In recent weeks there have been a significant number of reports of break-ins and thefts from lock up garages across the Bullbrook area of Bracknell.
Because of the age, construction and locations of these lock up garages they are a soft target, unalarmed, in poorly lit areas, away from passing traffic and overlooking neighbours.
Are you storing property in such a lock up garage, if so when would you have last visited it and checked on its security?
Due to nature and size of some of the reported stolen items it would appear that thieves have been using a van.
If you have been a victim of a garage break-in, or if you have any information regarding these recent break-ins please contact Thames Valley Police on 101
or email the local neighbourhood team on; (BracknellCentralNorthNHPT@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk)
What can you do to reduce the risk.
Most burglars are opportunists and target premises that offer the least risk of been caught.
. Ensue your garage is securely locked.
Unfortunately a factory fitted lock on an average up & over style garage door is intended for use in a domestic situation, on an integral or attached garage. Not to be adequate security where the garage is in an publicly accessible location. As such you need bolster the security by adding secondary locks bearing the following in mind,
- Simple lightweight padlocks and hasps are susceptible to been forced with basic tools, so are not adequate in a remote garage block.
- In some instances the offender has gained access by forcing a bottom corner of an up & over door, as such it is best to fit two secondary locks, (one towards the bottom of each side of the door).
- Items such as bicycles, motorbikes should also be secured with a chain and padlock, preferably secured to a ground anchor within the garage.
- If your lock up is within range of your home consider installing a battery powered wi-fi (shed) alarm.
- For more security advice check out the Thames Valley Police website at <www. thamesvalley.police.uk/advice/protecting-your-home-and-belongings/burglary/>